One of the more challenging golf courses in the northeast region, founded 1911, incorporated 1938.
When Whickham Golf Club was formed in 1911 it was a nine hole golf course located at the top of Broom Lane / Sunniside Road. The Clubhouse was purchased from Burnhope Polo Club and was sited on Marshall Lands approximately 50 yards opposite the entrance to Cornmoor Road off Broom Lane.
When sewage works interfered with the course in 1938 the Club moved to where it is now and 9 holes were in play before the commencement of the second world war in 1939.
Two huts were purchased from Ryton Urban District Council and with parts of the old clubhouse from Broom Lane were used to make a new clubhouse.
By 1948 the course consisted of 18 holes. It was threatened with open-cast mining but fortunately although exploratory drilling was carried out the scheme did not progress any further.
During the early hours of the 2nd January 1951 whilst the clubhouse was unoccupied a fire developed and by early morning only the two brick chimneys and cellar remained.
It was decided that a new clubhouse should be erected on the original site. Two huts became available from the army camp at Hamsterly Hall and these were purchased. Many members helped with the construction of the new premises and completion was effected in time for the 13th AGM in May 1951.
Major re-organisation of the course was undertaken during the years 1963 to 1964, which virtually reversed the playing direction of the course to achieve better visibility and reception to the greens.
The present site which was originally leased from the Earl of Strathmore was part of the Bowes-Lyon family estate and the Lodge Gates at the Club entrance marked one of the main entrances to the estate.
The buildings at this entrance which are now used by the Club Professional as a shop and workshop are listed as buildings of special architectural or historic interest.
In 1971 the Club was able to purchase the course.
The present Clubhouse with its excellent facilities was built in two stages, the first of which was completed in 1975 and the second in 1980 which included a Stewards Flat.
In 1994 the Club purchased extra land above Hunters Hill. It was decided that this land would eventually be developed as a practice ground and to extend the course.
In 1995 an extension was added to the Clubhouse which provided larger and much improved cellar, kitchen and gentlemen’s toilet and shower facilities. It also provided a separate kitchen as part of the Stewards Flat and an extra small lounge.
In 2003 two new holes were introduced using the land purchased in 1994. This extended the length of the course from 6000 yards (par 68) to just over 6500 yards (par 71) off the men’s medal tees. This new layout was subsequently named the Nordmann Course and the par 68 layout which was retained for use during the winter months was named the Crombie Course.
In 2004 a new Greenkeepers Shed was commissioned which comprises of excellent storage and garage space, an office, a workshop and welfare amenities for the Greens Staff.
In 2008 the ‘Quarry’ hole on the Nordmann Course was increased in length and became a par 5 which extended the length of the Nordmann Course to 6666 yards (Par 72) off the men’s medal tees.